Thursday, March 8, 2012

Visit to St Louis Art Museum

   Today I took advantage of free time and visited the St Louis Art Museum. They are currently exhibiting "An Orchestrated Vision" in The Theater of Contemporary Photography til May 13, 2012.
   They also have several photographs displayed from this collection on the 2nd floor free of charge. There is a fee for the main exhibition of $10.00. You are allowed to take pictures(w/o flash) of the 2nd floor photographs but not the main exhibition.
   Thoroughly enjoyed viewing the photographs, along with watching the reactions of other people looking at them. In particular I'm talking about Larry Sultan's image. This photograph draws you in to take a closer look  at all the activities that are occurring in the image, when all of a sudden you absorb whats going on in the background. When this realization takes effect I noted a smile crossing many of viewers faces. At this point you find it necessary to reread or read(if you haven't already) the photographs history.

  The photograph I found myself immediately drawn to was "Tattooed Man" by Diane Arbus.  Wouldn't it be fun to hang this photograph in your home? Well I found one that had sold online by Christies for $50,000.00. Guess I'm going to have to go out and find my own Tattooed Man to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment