Saturday, November 22, 2014

Awaiting the Grand Jury Decision on a Personal Level


I'm writing this article with so many thoughts swirling in my head. Today is Saturday, November 22 with rumors rampant that the grand jury verdict is to be announced tomorrow at 1600. Schools have been called off this Monday and Tuesday November 24 and 25th anticipating the violence following the Grand Jury announcement. Yesterday I read two people were arrested by the FBI  with intent to place  pipe bombs after the  announcement tomorrow. Today I read in an article by New York times writer John Eligon that an avid protester states "he"s willing to die for the cause of Michael Brown"

 I very much want to go and photograph the results of the grand jury dicsion but I sure as hell don't want to die doing it. My future son-in-law awaits at the other end as I type this, his unit has been called up by the guard as he waits at some undisclosed location, not able to disclose where he's at, even to his fiancĂ©. My daughter and I pretend everything's ok as we shop for wedding dresses, a world away from the reality in Ferguson. Underneath it all I know she worries about her finace and her mother. She blurts out as we shop, " Please don't go to Ferguson to shoot pictures I want you to be at my wedding. 

What to do, I really don't know. How this will pan out tomorrow.

I do know know I'm passionate about this cause and know nothing will be solved by the Grand Jury decision whichever way it goes. 

The reaction to the MB shooting is the result of years of pent up hostility of black folks because of  white police  treatment on black citizens. I know this statement to be true, I lived it, I saw it, I worked it.

Back in the 70's and 80's when I was a street paramedic for the city of st louis i saw horrendous acts of violence by white P.O, against the black citizens. I don't even know if I want to write the details of those incidents but I will tell you I can still taste the blood of the black man, after he was whacked by the white pi's night stick. The blood splayed across my face in to my mouth.

Years later friends ask did I do anything and unfortunately my answer is, no, I was too scared for myself.
If these memories lie so profoundly in my heart what must they feel like to the men who were abused so cruelly by the police. What stories must they have passed along to their families.

Because of my past experiences, I feel I need to help Ferguson and the protestors be understood by "the other side today" It's my responsibility and hope that I can spread the word so all people will understand This reaction towards the incident of Michael Brown is the result of years pent up  hostility from past abuses by the white police towards the black community!!!

I choose no side, whose right or wrong. That's not what this is about. I wasn't sitting on the Grand Jury to hear the evidence. 

I only know I want PEACE! Please everybody don't pick sides just try and understand each other. Then maybe just maybe we will all live together in harmony!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment